Friday, July 16, 2010

Author Interview with Lisa Sanchez

Hello everyone! Today you're in for a special treat. On Wednesday, you read my review of Lisa Sanchez's awesome novel, Eve of Samhain. Well today, you're going to get an inside scoop on the writing process for EOS as well as her future work. Let's jump right into the Q&A! Enjoy!

Interview:

Eve of Samhain is your first novel, how did it feel to find out it would be published?

To say I was excited would be a massive understatement *she laughs*. Realizing a lifelong dream results in a very surreal feeling. I’m still floating around on a bubble of happiness, and I doubt I’ll be coming down anytime soon!


What was your inspiration for the novel and how long did it take you to write it?

I planned on entering a short story contest, the premise of which was something like “Girlfriends, Ghouls and Gorgeous Guys.” I knew I wanted to do something different, so I googled “mythological creatures” found the legend of the Gancanagh, and the rest is history. The first draft took me about four months to write.


Why Celtic lore? What about the Irish myths drew you in?

I’ve always been fascinated by Celtic mythology. I’m part Irish and Scottish and have always wanted to visit both countries to explore my heritage.


When did the idea for this book first waltz into your mind?

A little over two years ago.


What was the biggest challenge for you in writing Eve of Samhain?

The biggest challenge I faced was believing in myself and learning to come out of my shell. Once I let go and really listened to my inner voice, things just took off. I haven’t looked back since.


If you could tell us one fun fact about any of your characters, who and what would it be?

Oooh boy! Hmmm….Oh! Got it! This little tidbit always makes me laugh and I’m quite sure most people haven’t put two and two together while reading. Quinn, though he’d never admit it publicly, and probably pound anyone that accused him openly, has a soft spot for show tunes. Yep. There’s a scene in the book where Ryann cranks up the speakers to her iPod dock and blasts Mamma Mia throughout her room. Uh…yeah…Quinn gave her that iPod, fully loaded with music. That’s all I’m sayin’.


Eve of Samhain is the first in a series, can you tell us what to expect next from Hanaford Park? What are you currently working on?

If things work out the way I’d like them to, there will be four books in the Hanaford Park series. I’ve already completed book two, Pleasures Untold, which is Martha’s story. I’ve also just recently started on Jessica’s story, which I’ve tentatively titled Soul Harvest.


Without giving too much away, what’s your favorite scene in the novel? How did you feel when you completed that scene?

That’s an easy question! Hands down, my favorite scene is in chapter seventeen when Ryann is in the shower. I can’t say anything else without giving too much away.


How did I feel after writing it?

*She laughs.* Hot and bothered!!


What’s your favorite line from the story?

Tough question! I’m gonna go with something that doesn’t give too much away. “Well, what can I say? When you’re hung like a Clydesdale, you find yourself naming your appendage.” He shifted in his seat and glanced down at his crotch with a smile. “Captain Leviathan here is legendary.”


If you could go back to when you were first writing this story, what advice would you give yourself?

I’d tell myself to ease up and not be so hard on myself. I’d remind myself that the business is very subjective and to keep pushing forward no matter what.


One thing you would like to tell current or perspective readers?

I’d like to thank all my readers, both current and new. Without the readers, I’d be nothing.


Favorite book?

Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward


Favorite author?

J. R. Ward


Top five hottest fictional heroes?

Heh, heh…you’re going to see a trend here in a sec. My top five heroes are: Butch O’Neill, John Matthew, Rhage, Zsadist, and of course my very own Quinn.


Favorite female heroine?

This is a tough one. I’m all about the guys! I’d have to go with Sookie Stackhouse.


Favorite Eve of Samhain character and why?

Quinn! That’s a no brainer! The boy is shmexy, witty and oh-so-lickable.


Thank you, Lisa, for an awesome interview and taking the time to answer all our questions. Now to you readers: as I said Wednesday, go! Go now! Buy this book!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog, Kaiti! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! =D It was great to have you as my first author interview.

    ReplyDelete