Monday, April 30, 2012

Review: In the Service of the King by Laura Kaye

Hey, everyone! It's Monday, which means today is book review day! Today I have a review of Laura Kaye's paranormal romance novella, In the Service of the King. Enjoy!
 

Synopsis: "Kael, Warrior King of the Vampires loathes the Night of the Proffering. He needs the blood of either his mate or a human virgin to maintain his strength, but hasn't enjoyed the ritual since he lost his mate centuries ago. Kael doesn't want a new companion, yet his resolve is tested when he lays eyes on his new offering, Shayla McKinnon. He is drawn to Shayla's beauty and poise...and the submission she offers. She is eager to give him anything he wishes, including her innocence, to please him. Will Kael give in to their overwhelming desire -- even if it means risking Shayla's life?"

Genre: Novella--paranormal romance

First Sentences: "Kael paced the length of his private sleeping chamber, avoiding the plush emerald carpet and keeping to the uncovered stone floor at the edge of the room. After an hour of ceaseless movement, the cold of the polished slabs bit into the flesh of his bare feet and gave him something to focus on besides the Proffering, which he loathed but required." From the beginning sentences, we already know that the hero of the novella, Kael, is in some sort of emotional distress. Distress is conflict and tension, and tension is what keeps us reading. This novella kept me reading!

Brownie Points: After several more lines like the ones above, I was quickly hooked into the world of this novella. I'm a slow reader, but I stayed up half the night and read it all in one sitting. I couldn't stop turning the pages. What amazes me most is how much story Laura Kaye was able to pack into such a small novella. I've read full length novels which weren't nearly as strong without nearly as well-characterized heroes/heroines as in this little novella. I was also impressed by how well the fictional world was established without loads of backstory to slow the pacing down. Kudos to Laura Kaye!

Beefs: I had no beefs with this. I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. And let me add, this novella was HOT HOT HOT!

Ending: As with any romance, the ending was a wonderful HEA. In the end, I felt that all the conflicts were resolved and the character's story had made it's complete arc. Great wrap up!

Recommendation and General Comments: This novella is EXTREMELY well-written and is a great read even for those who aren't normally interested in short fiction. Paranormal readers will drool over Kael, the sexy vampire king, and as usual, Laura's books never lack for extreme passion and heat. With each book I've read by Laura, I've been more and more impressed. In each story I can see her growth as an author and I know she will only continue to get better and better. I can't wait for the next installment in the novella series, Seduced by the Vampire King, which releases June 1st, 2012. 


For all the above reasons, I give In the Service of the King by Laura Kaye a rating of full moon.


Here at Nocturnal Readings, this is the mother of all ratings!!! I loved this novella! If you are a fan of paranormal romance, you MUST go to Amazon or B&N.com immediately and get this novella. It's a great price and a great read. Enjoy!
Don't forget to stop back in on Wednesday! Til then ;-) 

 

If you're interested in learning more about Laura Kaye and her novels, visit her at laurakayeauthor.blogspot.com or hit her up on Twitter @laurakayeauthor

No comments:

Post a Comment