Monday, September 20, 2010

Boardwalk Empire Review


Happy Monday everyone! Even though Monday is by far the worst day of the week lol. But hopefully we can make today great.

Last night was the premiere of HBO's new series, Boardwalk Empire. I was eager to watch this show as it has some things that always make for great television in my book: gangsters (like 20's gangsters, not today's rap gangstas), violence, sex, bootlegging, gambling, prostitution, and overall scandal. Hey, you can't say I'm dishonest. You've gotta admit, it may be slightly taboo, but it makes for good T.V. After seeing the commercials, this looked like my kind of show. Thankfully, it did not disappoint.

While it's too soon for me to say whether the series, as a whole, will be a keeper, it certainly started out on the right foot. The plot follows gangster and dirty politician, Enoch "Nucky" Thompson (played by Steve Buscemi) and his dealings in Atlantic City, Jersey. The year is 1920 and Prohibition has just went into effect, and while the feds are looking to beat out all alcohol, Nucky, his fellow crooks, and the Atlantic city police force, led my Nucky's brother, are aiming to make sure Atlantic City stays wet as ever.

What I love about this show so far is the majority of characters are based on actual Roaring 20's gangsters. I couldn't help but find amusement in the fact that a young Al Capone is one of the head honcho's drivers.

While I won't give away any of the fine details, I suggest that all of you catch the replays of the first episode this week. If the show stays consistent to how it started, I think it will become a must-watch, and you won't want to have to play catch up. ;-)

Now that I own one, on Wednesday I'll be talking about my new Barnes and Noble Nook and my more informed view of e-readers and e-books.

To the winners of the 100 Follower Challenge, please remember to contact me by Friday! I don't want to have to draw names again. Til Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Kaitlyn! I hopped over from Kittie Howard's blog to say hello and congratulate you on your award. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn, I've got a little something for you over at my place. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete