Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Let the Writing Begin and Market News for the Week

Happy Wednesday, everyone! I'm back from my brief hiatus and I'm now an educated woman! That's right--I finished my bachelor's degree in English and in the fall will be a full time MFA graduate student. Woot! Do you know what that means?

It means....let the writing begin! From this point forward, my entire education and career will be focused solely around writing and I couldn't be more ecstatic about that. I can't wait to submerge myself in all things writing, specifically in all things concerning my current work in progress.

So in the spirit of writing, for today's post I have some fresh market news for the week. Here is what's going on in the publishing world:

In news for the authors, agents are pressing for escalating royalties on ebooks and many agents are now claiming that this is becoming the norm rather than the exception. You might be thinking: "Huh? What does that mean?" Escalating royalties is when the royalty changes according to level of sales. So in the ebook department, this highly benefits the author. For more information, please click here: Escalating Royalties for Ebooks

Secondly, good news for Kindle owners: the Kindle is finally going to be able to access library books! While most libraries now have ebooks available for loan, the Kindle is the only ereader, including the I-pad and any of it's applications, that cannot access these files. This is coming later this year. For more information on this Kindle Library Feature, click the link.

According to Publisher's Weekly, Amazon's sales have increased, but their earnings have fallen. Honestly, I don't quite understand how that works, but if you would like to take a look for yourself, you can click here: Amazon Sales Up and Revenue Down.

And finally, more great news for ebook authors! According to the Association of American Publishers, ebooks rank as the number one format among all trade categories this month! For more info, follow this link: Ebooks Rank Number One

That's all the market news I have for this week. I hope it provided some interesting reading for you. Til Friday! ;-)

2 comments: