Friday, August 13, 2010

So You Think You Can Write?


Happy Friday, everyone! I'd appreciate some #FF's from those of you on Twitter ;-)

So I was watching the season finale of So You Think You Can Dance last night and was suddenly inspired to write this post. *Spoilers ahead for those of you who haven't watched it yet*

This is the first season of SYTYCD that I've actually had no strong opinion about who should have won. Honestly, I would have been happy no matter who received the title. Yes, I was partial to Kent's personality, but I said from the beginning that Lauren was strong enough to win, and Robert grew so much in his dancing that he deserved to be there too. But despite being the only girl left in the competition, Lauren prevailed and won the title of America's Favorite Dancer--as well as a huge load of money and other prizes, but that's beside the point.

I can't imagine how it felt to be the only girl left for so long. While I'm sure the feeling that she was obviously the most popular and strongest female dancer had to be good, I also wonder if she felt very alone in her struggle.

Often as writers, I think we feel like we're in a similar situation. Through all the rejection and the sorrow, it's easy to feel like you're very much alone in what you're going through. But we should strive to be like Lauren and the other dancers on the show. Despite all the crazy feelings, we need to push forward.

Like dance, writing (as well as any other profession centered around artistic and creative abilities) is a rough business. Ask any musician, dancer or actor, and I'm sure they've felt the same rejection that many writers have. But what we can learn from SYTYCD is that while technique and ability are important, it's those who preserve and don't give up on their dream who make it in the business.

Were the top three great dancers? Yes, they were, but so were all the other top 11 contestants. The ones who made it to the finale pushed through all the sweat and tears, and maintained their energy through endless hours of rehearsal. My point is: writers need to think as if they're a contestant on a show, like SYTYCD. Yes, craft is important, but I firmly believe that if you keep pushing forward, you'll make it there someday. Now run to that keyboard and keep fighting for your dream!

Don't forget the 100 Follower challenge ends this coming Wednesday! Hop to it! Til Monday ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment