Monday, December 13, 2010

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Happy Monday, everyone! Hope your Monday is going as well as mine. All of my finals and everything for school is done and over, so I'm finally able to enjoy my break. I actually got eight hours of sleep last night! Woo hoo! Now straight into the review.

The Hunger Games = WOW! Absolutely fantastic. I couldn't put this book down. First, for those of you who haven't been fortunate enough to read it yet, here is the back cover blurb:

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before--and survival, for here, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

I'll be honest, after reading this blurb, this didn't sound like my type of book. I've never really been into dystopian fiction, or dystopian YA fiction. However, I'd heard so many great reviews of this series that I finally bought the book and just had to see for myself.

I literally COULD NOT put this book down. My fiance had to finally pry it from my hands, so I would finish up studying for my finals and writing my final papers. Word to the wise, if you have something important to do, don't start reading this book because you won't get it done--save it for a nice weekend read.

The Hunger Games is addicting. Not only is the story full of non-stop action and adventure, but the novel is very well written and will keep you on the edge of your seat and in love with the characters from page one. I can't say enough good things about this book. It is definitely being archived on my shelf as one of my new favorites, and I've already bought the two sequel books (Catching Fire and Mockingjay).

This book appeals to any one of any age, whether or not you are usually a sci-fi dystopian reader--this is a book for anyone. Because of this, I present The Hunger Games with a rating of: full moon!



This book is absolutely fantastic, and if you don't like it, there must be something wrong with you. Lol, just kidding about that last part, but seriously, this book is great and you NEED to read it. I give it my highest recommendation.

So for those of you who haven't read the novel, run to your local bookstore this very second and buy this book! You will not regret it.

Make sure you check back on Wednesday day. I'll be announcing a new giveaway! Til then ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm SO glad to hear you loved THG, Kaitlyn! I thought I wouldn't like it because of the whole kids killing kids thing, but the story was so much more, and so so powerful! Excellent review...can't wait to see your thoughts on Catching Fire! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa--Yes, I absolutely loved it. It didn't really sound like my cup of tea, but I had a friend keep telling me over and over how much I'd love it. She was right! I'm sure I will get through Catching Fire and Mockingjay very fast lol.

    ReplyDelete